Things We Love Thursday: Maple and Oak Designs

Contributed by Emma Callin

Throughout my childhood and adolescence most people tended to identify me as "cute, sweet and adorable", and occasionally "totally darling".  While this was understandably frustrating when I was teenager I've since learned to appreciate my baby face, especially after I turned 30.  As Chantal puts it, I've "embraced the cuteness factor".  ^_~*  Being mistaken as ten years younger than I am doesn't hurt either!

Of course, this does affect the way I dress.  Many clothes and accessories aimed at my age group do not suit me, the flip side is that wearing younger styles can make me look childish.  One of the ways I find balance is to pair classic pieces with an unexpected accessory to make my outfit a bit more fun and suited to me.  Some of my favourite accessories for that purpose are from Calgary-based Maple and Oak Designs - we sat down with owner Leonie Vatter to chat about how she got started and what keeps her inspired.

Featuring hood scarf by Maple and Oak Designs, Polar blouse by Jennifer Glasgow, belt by Brave Leather.

What/Who inspired you to start sewing and crafting? 
"I've always been creative and learned how to sew from my mom and grandma when I was little. When I went back to Germany (where I'm from) in 2011 and started to work as a teacher, I needed a creative outlet. I started sewing hooded scarves for my friends as Christmas presents and that's how it all began. My friends loved their scarves, one even asked if he could commission one for his wife. My sister-in-law, who is a jeweller, had just started to sell her creations successfully on Etsy and encouraged me to do the same. So I did. When we moved back to Canada in 2012, I wasn't too sure where my life was going and I decided to start Maple And Oak Designs officially in the beginning of 2013." 

Featuring triangle scarves and head scarf by Maple and Oak Designs.

How did you choose the name "Maple and Oak Designs"?
"As mentioned before, I grew up and lived in Germany until I was 24 and started travelling. On my travels I met my Canadian husband and am now calling Canada my home. I really wanted to include both my old and my new home in my company name but not in an obvious way - that would have been way too boring! The oak is the German national tree and the maple is the Canadian one. I love nature and trees especially, so I thought it would be a good fit. It does confuse people at craft shows sometimes as they expect somebody who does wood work, but it makes them curious about the name and my product so it's a win for me in the end."

Featuring rockabilly headband by Maple and Oak Designs, Namaka tunic by Jennifer Glasgow.

Where do you source your fabrics? 
"About 90% of my fabrics are either vintage or recycled fabrics. The vintage fabric I get from fabric sales, estate sales, thrift shops and the recycled ones are often old clothes that people don't wear anymore and would otherwise become landfill. So I save them from that fate and turn them into something new and fun! Sometimes I use new fabrics, just because I can't resist them. If I do, I do my best to source organic fabrics because that is what I believe in and I wouldn't want my customers to wear anything less than that."

Featuring rockabilly headband and head scarf by Maple and Oak Designs, Louise dress by Miik, belt by Brave Leather, Hemera cardigan by We3.

What do you enjoy the most about what you do?  
"I love to design new pieces. Those times of the year are always the best. I also enjoy sourcing the fabrics and choosing the fabric combinations. Luckily, most of my pieces are one of a kind or very limited editions, so I get to do that all the time, yay! Another advantage is definitely being my own boss. I'm very happy that I can make my own schedule and don't have to stick to traditional working hours. I probably end up working a lot more than people with a 9 - 5 job but it means I can take the odd Thursday afternoon off and go for a cocktail with friends." 

Featuring rockabilly headband (worn as a scarf) by Maple and Oak Designs, Polar blouse by Jennifer Glasgow, belt by Brave Leather, hat courtesy of Lammle's.

Of all the pieces you have made, which one is your favourite? 
"Oh, that's a hard one. When I design my accessories, I always ask myself: "Would I wear this?" and I'll only go through with the design if the answer is yes. So all of my pieces are my favourites at some point. I do have one headband, though, that I would never give away. It's an off-white turban headband from a vintage fabric with the most gorgeous little rose print. I wear it to yoga all the time and get so many compliments."

Want to check out Maple and Oak Designs in person?  They'll be in-store June 10 - 13!  

Featuring turban headband and triangle scarf by Maple and Oak Designs.

Photos courtesy of:

Comments

Popular Posts