Loved clothes

There's a lot of interest these days in de-cluttering and minimizing so I'm not surprised that I often get asked about how to build a minimal wardrobe of loved clothes.  Usually the questions I get are about specific items of clothing: where to find ethically made black leggings, is a heeled boot a better investment than a flat boot, etc.  Yet the specificity of these questions makes me think that there should be more general tips and tricks for building a capsule wardrobe, especially for those just starting out in the minimalist lifestyle.  


So where to start?

  • Determine what your wardrobe will be most used for.  This is mostly dependent on the amount of hours you work, what kind of job you have, and what kind of work environment you have at your job.  You'll need a practical ratio of "work clothes" to "non-work clothes" before determining what your "non-work clothes" need to do.  Those who spend their free time outdoors will need very different clothing from those who predominately go to the movies, for example.  
  • Once you know what kind of clothes you need to suit your career and lifestyle it's easier to choose a colour palette than a specific style for your wardrobe.  This should be based on the colours you already wear the most: in my case my tops are usually ivory or navy blue, my denim is usually blue or grey, and my shoes are usually tan, red, or silver.  I often play with different styles but tend to stick within my preferred palette to increase my ability to mix-and-match different pieces.   
  • It's also important to consider temperature-preference and skin sensitivity - people have different tolerances to heat and cold, as well as various reactions to specific fabrics.  I'm always cold so I tend to choose long sleeves and heavier fabrics, though I avoid wool (too itchy) unless I intend to always wear something underneath it.  Even if you love a piece, if it's too uncomfortable to wear it's not a good investment.  


So what next?

  • Once you've figured out what you need and what colours and fabrics you prefer, choose pieces that fit those parameters while also making you feel like the best version of yourself.  If you try something on, look at yourself in the mirror, and feel ambivalent about how you look, don't buy it.  
  • Follow the care instructions on the labels of your garments, and when in doubt always wash gently in cold water and air dry.  This will prolong the life of your clothes and reduce the frequency of needing to replace worn out items.   

What methods have you found particularly useful for building a closet of loved clothes?  

Photos courtesy of Nicole Wee

Comments

Popular Posts