Summer Update

I've been a bit AWOL recently with my monthly updates on my attempt to buy nothing this year, partially because life has been busy with work and then vacation but mostly because I feel embarrassed that I've been buying stuff I don't strictly need.  In my last update in spring I mentioned that I'd bought some useful additions to my wardrobe (raincoat, good walking sandals, one piece swimsuit) and before that I'd bought nothing but replacements for clothing/footwear that were damaged beyond repair.  I must admit that the last few months I've not been so disciplined!


A large part of my small spending spree is simply due to being in a position to be tempted - going to Market Collective and PARKSHOW in May and spending most of July visiting Edmonton designers as well as local makers at the annual Arts in the Park in Kalispell, Montana.  As a strong supporter of small businesses, independent designers and makers, it's always so hard not to buy something when you meet the people who designed and/or made everything (often entirely by hand) with such obvious skill and talent!  Hence why I have a new ring stack made up of pieces from Trisha Flanagan, Jennea Frischke, Laughing Sparrow and Tribe of Lambs, a funky crop top by Suka Clothing, a handwoven scarf by Aviva Fibers, and a couple beautiful pieces by U.N.I., like the shorts pictured.


Reviewing all that I've bought this summer I've realized that my self-control isn't nearly as good as I'd hoped it was!  While I know that I shouldn't wander around the mall when I'm sad or upset as that usually leads to impulse shopping, abstaining from shopping is more problematic when I know that my purchases from small designers helps to pay their bills and keep their businesses running.  I'm still trying to reconcile my desire to support these talented people with my attempt to consume less, especially since I already have so much to be thankful for.  How do you strike that balance?

Top: Dagg & Stacey (old, still available) / Shorts: U.N.I. / Sandals: Aldo (old) / Aviators: Eschenbach (old) / Necklace: Fossil (old) / Rings: Tribe of Lambs & Trisha Flanagan

Photos courtesy of Nicole Wee

Comments

Popular Posts