Don't Panic

Like many people, I struggle with anxiety and depression.  Initially I thought I handled it pretty well by getting a little something when I was feeling down to treat myself - a specialty coffee, a new lipstick, a new piece of clothing or shoes.  The only problem with that being I started to attach my notion of happiness to what I did or did not own; what I jokingly called "retail therapy" was fast becoming my only method of coping.  


Searching for a healthier way to deal, my therapist suggested a few strategies that have really helped me live my life instead of just survive it (here in Canada you can find a therapist fairly easily - just ask your doctor for a referral).  I know that these aren't the same for everyone with the same problems, but they are a great starting point and I hope they are as helpful to someone else as they are to me: 
  • Get out and get active, especially when I don't feel like it.  The endorphins released from even a quick walk around the block make me feel more calm and help me focus on work that needs to be done.  Fresh air also clears my mind when I'm having a panic attack and helps me sleep better.  
  • Smell is strongly linked to memory, so choosing a scent in a portable format can help lift my mood when I'm depressed or calm me when I'm anxious.  A perfect example is how lavender is a calming scent to many people.  In my case I love being out in the mountains in the summer, so the smell of Inrapture by Lite + Cycle reminds me of the scent of sun-warmed woods and fresh greenery, which immediately triggers happy memories and the corresponding positive emotions. I also find the smell of mint to be very soothing, so Saje's Peppermint Halo rollerball travels with me too.    
  • Setting boundaries with social media is also important, so no phones/tablets allowed at mealtimes and at least an hour before bedtime.  Besides removing the psychological pressure of being constantly plugged in, having more face-to-face interactions with my loved ones also makes me calmer and happier.  This is also the reason I've been posting less frequently here on the blog and my other social media platforms as well.  
  • Decaf!  Caffeine messes with my sleep patterns and also makes me feel more anxious, but I still love the taste of coffee.  Drinking decaf and/or limiting my caffeine intake helps me cope better in the long run.  
What are your tried-and-tested methods to deal with stress, anxiety and depression?

~ Not sponsored ~

Comments

Popular Posts