March Update: Wishing

I was very successful at not buying any clothes, accessories, or footwear last month, though I really should clarify that I didn't buy anything myself.  I am, however, a March baby, which means birthday presents!  Given that I had a pair of sneakers and a pair of earrings on my wish list, I feel like this was cheating a bit on my buy-nothing year.. (my husband points out here that birthday gifts are supposed to be things you want but don't need)


In any case, besides giving my family a helpful list of possible gifts for birthdays and Christmas, I use my wish list as a way to control my shopping urges - even before this buy-nothing year.  Like most people I am susceptible to impulse buys and retail therapy, so I had made a habit of writing down items that caught my eye instead of buying them immediately.  After a week or two I'd review the list and see if I still wanted the item; usually the initial spark of love had died down considerably.
  

If the spark was still there I'd go through my closet to check if I already had something similar or if the item would work well with what I already owned.  At this point if I still wanted the item I would compare it to other items on the list to determine what I really wanted the most.  And of course, I had to compare my wish list to my budget!  Sometimes I could afford a couple items on the list, other times I would save up for the item at the top.  The process of waiting, comparing, and budgeting really helped control my shopping.

I still keep my wish list for my family, but this year I've been adding experiences to my personal copy - things like trying out a new restaurant, going to the theatre, road trips, going on vacation.  I will always choose travel over things, so it's the most effective way to keep me from shopping!  

Comments

Popular Posts