Alora Boutique

Contributed by Emma Callin

A family-founded and run jewellery business that aims to provide customers with beautiful, meaningful pieces from recycled materials produced by women in Ghana, Alora Boutique is a recognized staple of local craft fairs and markets.  If you haven't had the chance yet to check out their unique pieces with uplifting messages, Studio Intent is hosting a pop-up shop this week from Thursday through Saturday!

Get to know one of the women behind the brand: co-founder Jameela! 

What's the story behind your company name? 
Alora comes from the Bantu language (one of the oldest Central African languages). In English, Alora translates into "my dream". The name, represents a positive transformation and acts as a source of inspiration for us and the women who wear our jewelry to embrace their uniqueness and achieve their dreams.

The co-founders, the mother-daughter duo of Emilyn (R) and Jameela (L).

Who are your style icons?
My mom is my style icon! She wears whatever she wants whenever she wants. I'll admit she doesn't follow the latest trends, but that is why she is an icon. She knows what she likes and that is enough for her. When it comes to a celebrity style icon, Solange Knowles would be mine. She wears bright, bold colors and always has the best natural hair styles like braids and afros. I admire anyone who stays true to their personal style.

The Alora team: Peter, Emilyn & Jameela.

What do you love the most about working in fashion and design? 
I love that fashion and design are an expression of self. When I create jewelry I do it with the belief that jewelry should be beautiful, personal and meaningful. I think that fashion and design are art forms, so it makes me feel appreciated when someone buys our jewelry and loves it.

A selection of what's in store!

What inspires you everyday? 
I'm inspired by two things: the process of creating jewelry and the way in which we use jewelry as vehicle to give.
My mother is inspired by “…Everyday events and actions. When I see that there are others out there who are speaking their minds for causes that they believe in and that affects them, and making fashion statements by wearing clothes and jewellery that uplifts them I am inspired by those actions. For example, in the news today there was a story about people dressing up in aboriginal costumes for Halloween without any regard for that culture or understanding the culture. Two young women spoke up and said if anyone wants to understand aboriginal culture, they need to speak to an aboriginal person, bearing in mind that these costumes sexualize aboriginals at a time when they are dealing with murdered and missing aboriginal women and girls. Yes, fashion and jewellery are inspiring but it should also be worn in an appropriate context. Long story short, those women speaking up for what they believe in inspires me!”

Comments

Popular Posts